- Transfer of functional knowledge, e.g. from models to human.
- Learn biology from nature’s experimentation mutating genes.
- The broadest coverage of Eukaryotes / Prokaryotes / Viruses.
- Computed evolutionary traits and collated functional annotations.
- Comparative charts,
- mapping of user data,
- interactive Web GUI,
- REST API, and SPARQL RDF.
To guess gene functions "by tradition" we recover gene families by their ancestry, and collate known biological roles of the family members.
The more closely related the species, the more finely-resolved the gene orthologies.
We refer as orthologs to all descendants of a particular single gene of the last common ancestor, thus our operational definition refers to a specific phylogeny radiation for a set of species, termed the level-of-orthology.
Note: notions of orthologs and paralogs are disjoint, e.g. paralogs can be co-orthologs if duplicated after the speciation or can be not if duplicated earlier.
OrthoDB graphical abstract
Email: `support[at]orthodb.org Join the OrthoDB-News mailing list (low trafic).